Monday 6 October 2008

Monday Memo: persistance pays off

Note to self: By perseverance the snail reached the ark.

After having a bit of a struggle getting several plots in a row to behave themselves and turn into something like a readable story, I've started to somehow expect every project I tackle to be something of a swine until I beat it over the head with the keyboard for a long time.

The Morning After was a last minute addition to the Perfect Timing line up. I'll be completly honest, when I started writing the first sentence, I had no idea what the second sentence would be. I had a vague idea that I thought might somehow turn into a novella, but to be honest I wasn't optimistic.

After a couple of thousand words, I thought it was going to be the same as the last few, but I kept typing anyway. Because that's what you have to do sometimes, right? You type through the bad bits and keep repeating to yourself over and over again that whatever problems you can see in your first draft aren't anything that can't be fixed during the re-writes.

I'm now 5,500 words into it *touches wood*. The Morning After is actually shaping up quite nicely. The characters are coming together. A plot has taken shape. It's actually enough material between the characters for it to reach a novel length. And, well... yeah. It's actually going quite well.

On the editing side of things, I've re-jigged my plans a little and I've decided to tackle Imperial Topaz before All Grown Up. There's less that needs doing to Topaz and I think *fingers crossed* that it can go off by the end of the week.

Take care alll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the morning after about? And yes, I'm stalling from workingon Whispering Hope. But I still want to know.

Good luck on IT.

Kim Dare said...

Well, it starts with Georgia waking up in a strange bed the night after the office party.

In fact, each chapter is all about the repercussions that follow nights which change Georgia's life in different ways.

It's a lifestyle BDSM novel, and it's more to the discipline side of the spectrum than I've been writing lately, so it's a lot of fun to write something a little bit differet.

All the best with Whispering Hope - I'm sure you'll get there by the end of the month.

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool.