Monday 29 December 2008

Memo: Confused

Hi everyone,

It's that time of year again, when thoughts look back over the last year and forward to the next.

2008 has been a great year for me, especially as far as my writing goes, so I'm feeling very fortunate right now. But I'm also making plans for next year, wondering what I'll do in 2009.

I know which projects I want to work on in January, and I have a fair idea of what will be happening in February, but after that it all gets a bit blurry. A lot depends on how things go for the projects I'm hoping to work on in those first two months. So, I'm at a bit of a loss.

New years resolutions are all well and good but you need a certain amout of foresight to be able to make ones that apply to the whole year, and I just can't see that far ahead right now.

There are lots of things I would like to get done next year, lots of things that I would love to write, or edit or submit. There are challenges I would like to tackle - different series, longer stories, different voices, different sub-genres - but at the same time, I'm really enjoying doing what I'm doing now.

And at the same time as all this, I don't think it's really possible to continue to edit and submit at my current rate forever, which means I should probably think about finding some sort of realistic balance in 2009.

*Rolls eyes at self*

I suppose what this memo is trying to say is simple. My current thoughts on the two years in question are as follows.

2008 - Very lucky.
2009 - Very confused.

Maybe by Wednesday I'll have wondered enough to make more sense. Not making any promises on that score!

*****

Other news:

No editing at the moment. Starting back January 1st.

Writing - 4000 words left on the novella I'm working on at the moment. I'm planning to finish that this month.

I'm also hoping to finish off a little project that is for some inexplicable reason taking me far longer than a novella. I'm writing a chapter for a Round Robin. 2000 words. That's all. I started it on December 5th. Since then I've damn near written three novellas. I still haven't finished the chapter. That's going to be done by the end of the month too.

I also need to update my website, I'm just waiting for a final decision on where In the Heat of the Moment will find it's final home so I can do it all at the same time.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It'll al work out in the end, Kim. You had a great year and only bigger and better stuff will be on tap for the new one!

Happy New Year!

Kim Dare said...

Thanks Chelle.

Happy New Year! All the best for even more success for you in 2009 :)