Wednesday 27 August 2008

Wednesday Wonderings 4

Hi everyone,

The topic for the day is indeed organising writing projects.

I have a spread sheet where I list all the stories I've writen or want to write in the future. I just counted them up and I have a grand total of 150 storys and story ideas.

A grand total of two of these have been accepted for publication. Two more are out there waiting for a verdict. One more will go out at the end of this month.

Now for the math. At the moment I'm trying to send off one or more a month. Lets call it one to keep the math simple. I'm aiming to submit 12 stories a year. So, it is going to take me about 12.5 years to submit them all at that rate. And I'm not even taking into account all the ideas I keep adding to the tally.

On the one hand, it is great to know I'm not going to run out of things to write about for quite a while. On the other hand, I feel a bit...

I don't really know how to discribe it. I try to be practical and organised. For me that means I onlt work on one first draft at a time and one editing project at a time. I've tried to put them in some sort of order.

The first drafts of the Perfect Timing series should be finished in September.

During October and December I'm hoping to do the first drafts and major re-writes for another series I have in the works called Hot + Wet.

November is Nanowrimo (more about how much I love Nano closer to the date!) and I've set that month aside to work on a stand alone novel called Model Submissive.

At the same time I'm editing up Perfect Timing for submission to Total-e-bound.

So, the chances of my having time to work on anything else for the rest of this year are somewhat slim.

And when I think about that I just feel... well, what about the other projects in my to do list?

I start working out that if I do X and then Y and then Z, and soon I realise it will be a decade or so before I get to work on some of them. Can I really put those ideas on the back burner for that long? What if I don't remember what I liked about the idea and the characters when I finally come to write them? What if... and this is the one that really does worry me... What if someone else writes the stories first?

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. Maybe because I wonder if there are other writers out there who feel the same way? Maybe it just does everyone good to have a moan now and again - even if they haven't actually got anything to moan about.

I'll leave you in peace now.

What do I intend to do with myself until I speak to you next?

Well, today I'm doing the synopsis and blurb for Silent Night (1700 words) and adding to my first draft of Quick Learner (1500 - 2000 words).

Tomorrow I'll be adding the last section (another 1500 - 2000 words) to finish off Quick Learner.

Friday I'll be talking to you again :)

2 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

I'm floored by your organisational skills. Wow...just...wow.

Kim Dare said...

Thanks Brownyn.

I'm pretty sure I passed from oraganized into sad a while ago, lol.